2018 Shared Insight Gathering
Information for Funders
May 21-23, 2018
Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria
2222 West Loop South
Houston, TX 77027
What to Expect
This will be our largest gathering to date with representatives from 160 nonprofit partners and 30 funding organizations committed to using feedback loops to better serve those we seek to help. Among the attendees will be organizations that employ feedback loops, are on the front lines of feedback research, or provide funding to help make this work possible.
Expect to learn from your peers, be inspired, and get to know your fellow feedback practitioners and funders from around the country.
Expect to be energized and challenged by our featured presenters Bryan Stevenson, founder and executive director of the Equal Justice Initiative, Sarah Jones, Tony Award-winning playwright and performer, and Adrienne Boissy, chief experience officer at the Cleveland Clinic.
Expect to hear directly from beneficiaries demonstrating how the very act of asking for and listening to feedback empowers individuals and changes organizations.
Expect to enjoy great food and the hospitality of the City of Houston.
We look forward to seeing you at the 2018 Shared Insight Gathering! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Michelle Mengel at email@example.com.
Please click the button below to view the full list of attendees as a pdf. An interactive list is also available on the Whova App.
Click on a date below to see a preview of the day’s agenda. To get the entire agenda — with information on speakers, room locations, and other details — please download Whova, our event app. Easy instructions on how to do so can be found below in our Event App section. We encourage you to download Whova for the best (most updated, comprehensive, and interactive) conference experience, but you can also view Whova’s schedule and speaker pages by clicking on the links.
MONDAY - May 21, 2018
12:00pm – 4:00pm Registration
4:00pm – 6:00pm Opening Plenary
- Welcome and Shared Insight Overview, Melinda Tuan (managing director, Fund for Shared Insight) and Lindsay Louie (Hewlett Foundation)
- Panel: “The Transformative Power of Feedback,” facilitated by Lissette Rodriguez (Edna McConnell Clark Foundation), and featuring Jo Carcedo (Episcopal Health Foundation), Cathy Moore (executive director, ECHOS), Angie Ochoa (case manager/navigator/translator, ECHOS), and three ECHOS clients, Dora Equia, Paula John, and Louis Ramirez
6:00pm – 7:00pm Dinner
7:00pm – 8:00pm Evening Plenary with Bryan Stevenson (founder and executive director, Equal Justice Initiative)
TUESDAY - May 22, 2018
7:30am – 8:30am Breakfast and Networking
8:30am – 9:45am Opening Plenary
- Listen for Good data analysis and learnings to date, Valerie Threlfall (project lead, Listen for Good)
- Inspirational “Short Talks” from L4G participants, Alexa Cares (feedback manager, Nurse-Family Partnership) and Frances Isbell (CEO, Healthcare for the Homeless – Houston)
9:45am – 10:15am Break
10:15am – 11:30am Breakout Sessions
- For Funders: Learning from the People We Seek to Help
- Nuts and Bolts: How to Implement High-Quality Data Collection Plans
- Feedback: It’s a Team Sport, Strategies for Engaging Colleagues and Clients
- Quantitative Data: How to Analyze Survey Feedback for Maximum Insights
- It Has to Change You: Using Feedback to Drive Organizational Improvement
- Bringing It All Back Home: How to Close the Loop with Your Clients
- The Road Ahead: Sustaining and Integrating Feedback Into Performance Measurement
- Qualitative Data: Making Sense of Open-Ended Survey Responses
11:30am – 12:30pm Networking Lunch
12:30pm – 1:30pm Lunch Plenary
Seeing and Being Seen: A Call for Meaningful Connections, Effective Communication, and Empathy, a conversation between Fay Twersky (Hewlett Foundation) and Adrienne Boissy (CEO, Cleveland Clinic Health System)
1:30pm – 2:45pm Breakout Sessions
- For Funders: Does Feedback Have the Potential to Influence Your Foundation?
- For Field-Building Grantees: Building a Feedback Movement
- For Listen for Good Grantees: Lightning Round with your TA Provider
2:45pm – 3:15pm Break
3:15pm – 4:30pm Afternoon Plenary
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion: What’s Feedback Got to Do with It? Moderated by Kelley Gulley (senior program officer, The James Irvine Foundation) and featuring Valerie Threlfall (project lead, Listen for Good)
4:30pm – 6:00pm Exercise/Nap/Rejuvenate Break
6:00pm – 7:30pm Dinner Reception
7:30pm – 9:00pm Evening Plenary with Tony Award-winning playwright and performer Sarah Jones
WEDNESDAY - May 23, 2018
7:30am – 8:30am Breakfast
8:30am – 9:00am Opening Plenary with Melinda Tuan (managing director, Fund for Shared Insight)
9:00am – 10:15am Breakout Sessions
- Fighting Hunger with Feedback: How Client Input Has Transformed Two Food Bank Communities
- The James Irvine Foundation Listening Project
- Habitat for Humanity International: Lifting and Sustaining Community Voice
- How to Influence Foundations and Nonprofits through Feedback
- Lightning Rounds by Issue Area with Listen for Good TA Providers
10:15am – 10:45am Break
10:45am – Noon Closing Plenary
Panel discussion facilitated by Fay Twersky (Hewlett Foundation), and featuring Katie Midgley (Plough Foundation), Chris Watler (Center for Employment Opportunities), and Shannon Revels (former client, Center for Employment Opportunities)
Lodging & Dress Code
The Gathering will be held at our primary hotel:
If you are staying at the Hilton Post Oak, please leave time, when scheduling your day, for the short walk to the Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, where the Gathering is being held. Also, please note that that both hotels have extended us the courtesy of late checkout on Wednesday, May 23, so you can check out following the 12 PM conclusion of the meeting.
Please plan to arrive on Monday, May 21, 2018, prior to 4:00 pm (CT) as we will start the Gathering promptly at 4:00 pm. The conference ends at noon on Wednesday, May 23, 2018.
The two primary airports serving Houston are:
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (27 miles from the Sonesta Hotel)
- William B. Hobby Airport (19 miles from the Sonesta Hotel)
Shuttle Service from Houston’s Airports to Hotels
Shared Insight will offer shuttle service from both Houston airports (Hobby and Bush) to both hotels (the Sonesta and the Hilton) on Monday, May 21. If you arrive at Hobby Airport, please go to the information booth where a greeter with a “Fund for Shared Insight” sign will direct you to the shuttle. If you arrive at Bush Airport, please meet the Fund for Shared Insight greeter at the bottom of the escalator taking you to Terminal C baggage claim. The greeter will direct you to the shuttle.
At the conclusion of the Gathering on Wednesday, May 23, complimentary shuttle service back to both airports from both hotels will be provided.
Official Event App
Please join us on the Whova event app. Together, we can stay connected, updated on the agenda, and save some trees along the way. We encourage you to download the Whova app before the Gathering. It’s easy to do and takes only seconds. Once you sign up, the app will take you directly to our event. If you are asked for an invitation code, our code (to be used only by attendees and speakers) is: 2018Gathering.
See you in Houston — and on Whova!
Use the App to:
- Access the agenda and onsite logistics
- Explore the professional profiles of speakers
- Send in-app messages and exchange contact info
- Network and communicate with fellow attendees
- Receive real-time notifications from organizers