Information for L4G Online Beta
Welcome! You’re here because you want to build sustainable, high-quality, client-focused feedback loops. We’re here because we want to help you do just that. Listen4Good (L4G) can have a significant, positive, and tangible impact on how you do your work, make decisions, deliver services, and relate to clients.
A new way for organizations to participate: L4G Online Beta
June 2019 Update: The application deadline for the current round of L4G Online Beta has passed. Fund for Shared Insight selected nearly 200 organizations to participate in the testing program now in progress. See more here.
Since 2016, Shared Insight has made grants through a co-funded grant program, building the capacity of more than 200 nonprofits nationwide and enabling more than 100,000 clients to share their perspectives and opinions. (Read stories about the L4G experiences of some of those organizations, funders, and clients.)
Now, as we prepare to make L4G more broadly available in 2020, we introduce a new way for nonprofits and government agencies to participate: L4G Online Beta, a beta testing program for our new L4G web app. The web app is an interactive website offering a rich array of supports — including step-by-step guides, video tutorials, and peer examples – to any organization that wants to systematically gather and respond to feedback from those they seek to help. Working through the web app, organizations will have the opportunity to independently move through a proven five-step process to design and implement their own high-quality feedback loops.
How organizations can participate in L4G Online Beta
Our goal with L4G Online Beta is to experiment along with you in order to optimize our online tools, resources, and assistance, creating a sustainable, high-impact, and easy-to-use L4G online product for public release in 2020. We invite nonprofits and government agencies to apply to L4G Online Beta and become early test users of our site. We are aiming to recruit up to 150 organizations, which will be selected to align with our efforts to create a diverse, representative portfolio for learning. Selected organizations will receive:
- a $5,000 honorarium in recognition of participation
- paid access to a premier SurveyMonkey account
- unlimited access to our interactive, resource-filled website, which includes step-by-step guides to implementing feedback loops
Want to learn more?
If you were unable to join any of our webinars, you can watch a recording of a previous session here.
L4G Online Beta Application Timeline
May 10, 2019 Applications due
June 7, 2019 Selections announced, welcome emails and next steps sent
By June 17, 2019 Selected organizations return honorarium agreement and receive invitation to join SurveyMonkey team
By June 24, 2019 Selected organizations create new SurveyMonkey account and receive invitation to join L4G website
By July 24, 2019 Selected organizations create an account within the L4G app and honorarium funds released
No longer accepting applications
- Applicants must be new to Listen4Good. Current or prior grantees are not eligible.
- Applicants must be a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) public charity or government agency whose work is focused domestically. Its clients for this initiative must reside in the United States or its territories.
- Applicants must be a direct-service organization, providing services directly to the people they seek to help. (See FAQ for more details.)
- Applicants should have a minimum annual budget of $500,000 in the current and previous fiscal years.
- Applicants should ideally serve at least 100 clients (who have already received some intervention/service delivery) annually and have intentions to survey a minimum of 50 clients for each feedback-loop process.
- Applicants must plan to survey primarily clients who are at least 13 years old.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA AND EXPECTATIONS
- Applicants must want to start implementing the feedback-loop process in 2019.
- Applicants must be prepared to participate over 18 months, making a good-faith effort to complete at least one feedback loop during that time.
- Applicants must have the capacity and commitment to give regular feedback on L4G’s web app, including responding to periodic surveys from L4G and its evaluation partner.
Frequently asked questions
1. What are eligible uses of L4G Online Beta’s $5,000 honorarium?
2. Why am I getting a SurveyMonkey account?
3. How flexible is your survey instrument? Can I customize the survey?
- How likely is it that you would recommend […] to a friend or family member?
- What is […] good at?
- What could […] do better?
- Overall, how well has [….] met your needs?
- How often do staff at […] treat you with respect?
©2015 SurveyMonkey The reason that these questions are required is so that we can provide benchmarks on these core questions. Beyond these five questions, our template includes some optional experience questions and four demographics questions. Each organization has the option to add up to five custom questions to their survey as well. The maximum number of questions that any client respondent will answer is 15 questions. Examples and background explaining the rationale for each survey item can be found on the L4G website app.
4. Whom should I survey?
5. What do you mean by direct-service organization?
For more information, please see L4G Online Beta FAQ.
See these additional resources:
- “Why Customer Feedback Tools Are Vital for Nonprofits,” Harvard Business Review, Feb 2019
- “How End-User Feedback Can Become a Nonprofit’s Innovation Engine,” Stanford Social Innovation Review, Jan 2019
- Listen4Good Data Analysis, Harder+Company, Aug 2018
- Listen4Good: 2016-2017 Cross-Cohort Findings, ORS Impact, Jul 2018
- Nonprofit and Co-Funder Experiences with Listen4Good: Reflections on Year One, ORS Impact, Mar 2018
- “Perceptual Feedback: What’s it all about?,” Ekouté Consulting, Feb 2017