Application Information for L4G Co-Funded Grants
Welcome! You’re here because you want to build sustainable, high-quality, client-focused feedback loops. We’re here because we want to help you do just that. Listen4Good (L4G) can have a significant, positive, and tangible impact on how you do your work, make decisions, deliver services, and relate to clients.
Since 2016, Shared Insight has made more than 200 co-funded L4G grants totaling $9.4 million, enabling more than 100,000 individuals served by nonprofits nationwide to share their opinions. (Read stories about the L4G experiences of some of those organizations, funders, and clients.)
Update: The current L4G co-funded round is in progress. Please stay tuned for future opportunities.
How nonprofits can participate in co-funded L4G grants
In order to apply to participate in Listen4Good’s co-funded grant rounds, nonprofits must be nominated by one of their current funders (existing or new). If the nominated nonprofit is selected to participate in L4G, the nominating funder will contribute $15,000 of the $30,000 grant total for each nonprofit selected. (Note: Funders can nominate more than one nonprofit.)
Selected nonprofits will receive:
- $30,000 during an 18-month grant period, $20,000 in the first year and $10,000 in the final six months
- paid access to a premium SurveyMonkey account
- unlimited access to our interactive, resource-filled website, which includes step-by-step guides to implementing feedback loops
- one-one-one support from an L4G coach
Proposal selection criteria for co-funded grants
This grant opportunity is open to nonprofits located anywhere in the 50 United States serving domestic beneficiaries and working in any issue area, as long as the effort is customer-facing. Nonprofits need not have experience collecting feedback from the people they seek to help in order to apply, but they do need to demonstrate a commitment to collecting and using client feedback going forward.
- Applicants must be new to Listen4Good. Current or prior grantees are not eligible.
- Applicants must be nominated by one of their current or new funders who supports their participation, and who agrees to contribute $15,000 to Fund for Shared Insight’s Listen4Good initiative in support of the grant.
- Applicants must be a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) public charity whose work is focused domestically. Their clients for this initiative must reside in the 50 United States.
- Applicants must have a minimum annual budget of $500,000 in the current and previous fiscal years.
- Applicants must serve at least 100 clients annually and have intentions to survey a minimum of 50 respondents for each feedback-loop of Listen4Good.
- Applicants must serve, and plan to implement feedback loops with, clients whose voices are least heard. For example, these might be families visiting food pantries, youth attending afterschool academic and enrichment programs, residents living in public housing, recent immigrants using legal-aid services, or individuals participating in job-training programs. (Please see FAQ documents for more detail on what this does — and doesn’t — mean.)
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA AND EXPECTATIONS
- Organization demonstrates commitment to designing and implementing high-quality client feedback loops, defined as:
– Data are collected regularly (at least 2x/year);
– Response rate over the course of the year is substantial (targeting 60 – 80%);
– Data are used to inform organizational practice (and ideally lead to programmatic changes); and
– Staff close the loop with those who provided feedback (how this is done will vary by organization).
- Organization embraces using the standardized question set and data analysis via the SurveyMonkey platform; participating in L4G coaching offerings; contributing anonymized data to benchmarks; and sharing data and lessons with its nominating funder and Shared Insight.
- Organization’s leadership team demonstrates commitment to engaging in the downstream activities associated with implementing high-quality feedback loops, including:
– Using the data for ongoing improvement;
– Communicating and advocating the value of client feedback to staff and other stakeholders;
– Dealing with the challenges that could arise from receiving or responding to feedback; and
– Closing the loop with clients.
- Organization has sufficient capacity to execute on the proposal and to participate in L4G coaching sessions and Shared Insight’s evaluation of the project.
- Organization understands the parameters of administering client surveys in multiple languages. The L4G survey’s five core questions are available pre-translated in Spanish, Chinese (traditional characters), and Vietnamese. If organizations wish to collect data in other languages, they must provide the translations (L4G has an online translation tool) and then manually enter the data into SurveyMonkey in English, Spanish, Chinese, or Vietnamese.
Co-Funded L4G Grants Timeline
June 27, 2019 Grant applications available
September 20, 2019 Proposal submission due
October 2019 Proposal review
October/November 2019 Phone interviews
December 13, 2019 Grant decisions announced
January 2020 Grant funds released
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Nonprofits in the Co-Funded Rounds, Aug 2019
- “Why Customer Feedback Tools Are Vital for Nonprofits,” Harvard Business Review, Feb 2019
- “How End-User Feedback Can Become a Nonprofit’s Innovation Engine,” Stanford Social Innovation Review, Jan 2019
- Listen4Good Data Analysis, Harder+Company, Aug 2018
- Listen4Good: 2016-2017 Cross-Cohort Findings, ORS Impact, Jul 2018
- Nonprofit and Co-Funder Experiences with Listen4Good: Reflections on Year One, ORS Impact, Mar 2018
- “Perceptual Feedback: What’s it all about?” Ekouté Consulting, Feb 2017